Here's a recipe (x2) for all of those who have root vegetables coming out the ying yang, and don't know what to do with them.
Part 1: Roasted Veggies
Start with all manner of root vegetables, whatever you have on hand.
I had carrots, onions, potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, turnip and green cabbage.
Turn your oven on to 375 F (400 if it resembles a meat locker for temperature)
Peel the veggies that need peeling and chop your veggies so that they are roughly the same size.
If you feel like adding some protein, choose your poison. I chose turkey sausage from his family's turkey farm (go JD Farms go!)
Toss them in the smidge of oil left in the bowl that contained the veggies, and daintily place the meat on top of the veg.
By now your oven should be hot (I hope, unless it is mine, then wait 10 more minutes)
The secret to cooking is wine; a glass will always improve the food and the cook's mood!
Toss it in the oven, and go watch an episode of Grey's Anatomy on NetFlix, trying to remember to get up and stir the veggies every 20-30 minutes.
Once they are all caramelized and happy and the protein is cooked, take them out and enjoy with another glass of wine :)
Part 2: Bubble and Squeak
Remember all those glorious veggies you roasted?
Throw them on a cutting board and chop chop chop (or pulse in a food processor. Why didn't I think of that at the time, only the shadow knows)
Use a good solid pan (cast iron is best) and place it on a medium-ish heat (4-6) and let it slowly come up to temperature.
Toss in a bit of olive oil to coat the pan.
Dump the chopped veggies into the pan, and mush into a vague patty-like thing. (mashed potato may increase the success rate)
Walk away for 2-40 minutes, checking every 10 or so so that it doesn't burn, and try to flip as one giant pancake. I didn't succeed, but I will try again.
Once it is bubbling and squeaking (it will, it's quite hilarious) it is done. Top with protein of your choice (ideally leftover roast of some sort) or a nice poached / over easy egg or two and have sides of gravy, mustard or HP Sauce at the ready.
ENJOY!!
Part 1: Roasted Veggies
Start with all manner of root vegetables, whatever you have on hand.
I had carrots, onions, potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, turnip and green cabbage.
Turn your oven on to 375 F (400 if it resembles a meat locker for temperature)
Peel the veggies that need peeling and chop your veggies so that they are roughly the same size.
Contemplate adding a few cloves of chopped garlic, then actually do it, because garlic is life.
Now that everything is chopped nicely and in a bowl, toss in a glug of olive oil (not picture because I was an airhead.)
Pause, and wonder why you smell vinegar, not realising that you tipped over your big jug of pickling vinegar in the cupboard while grabbing the oil, swear like a sailor and toss a cloth on it to soak it up so that you can get back to making dinner. Let's face it, it's only vinegar, and I have two more jugs for making pickles.
Back to the veggies. After they are all coated in a nice sheen of oil, dump them on a large baking sheet, and generously salt and pepper them.
If you feel like adding some protein, choose your poison. I chose turkey sausage from his family's turkey farm (go JD Farms go!)
Toss them in the smidge of oil left in the bowl that contained the veggies, and daintily place the meat on top of the veg.
By now your oven should be hot (I hope, unless it is mine, then wait 10 more minutes)
The secret to cooking is wine; a glass will always improve the food and the cook's mood!
Toss it in the oven, and go watch an episode of Grey's Anatomy on NetFlix, trying to remember to get up and stir the veggies every 20-30 minutes.
Once they are all caramelized and happy and the protein is cooked, take them out and enjoy with another glass of wine :)
Part 2: Bubble and Squeak
Remember all those glorious veggies you roasted?
Throw them on a cutting board and chop chop chop (or pulse in a food processor. Why didn't I think of that at the time, only the shadow knows)
Use a good solid pan (cast iron is best) and place it on a medium-ish heat (4-6) and let it slowly come up to temperature.
Toss in a bit of olive oil to coat the pan.
Dump the chopped veggies into the pan, and mush into a vague patty-like thing. (mashed potato may increase the success rate)
Walk away for 2-40 minutes, checking every 10 or so so that it doesn't burn, and try to flip as one giant pancake. I didn't succeed, but I will try again.
Once it is bubbling and squeaking (it will, it's quite hilarious) it is done. Top with protein of your choice (ideally leftover roast of some sort) or a nice poached / over easy egg or two and have sides of gravy, mustard or HP Sauce at the ready.
ENJOY!!




















No comments:
Post a Comment