Sunday, 3 January 2016

Pork & Kale Stir Fry


Happy post Christmas season everyone! I hope that 2016 is shaping up to be awesome.

Here's a great kale recipe for those who are not sure what to do with it!

Enter the cast of characters!


For the sauce:
  • GF soya sauce
  • good old fashioned white vinegar (rice vinegar works great as well), and love, lots of love. ;)

Stir Fry:
  • 1-2 bunches of kale (I find that curly kale works great, but any kale will do, or rapini, escarole, collard greens...you get the hint)
  • a good knob of ginger (I'm talking about 2 tbsp plus, but I love garlic and ginger)
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic (see above re: garlic & ginger are my life)
  • roughly two tablespoons of coconut oil (again, use what you have on hand, but I prefer coconut)
  • 1 lb-ish of ground pork 
Start with stripping the beautiful kale from its nasty stalks. To do so, I fine it easiest to cut along the stem of the stalk like so, in a rough triangle shape.


 Once you have de-nuded the entire bunch or two, roughly chop the kale leafs into bit sized bits and quickly toss in a salad spinner (trust me, you do not want bugs in your kale....yuck)



Now, it is time to lay the smack down on some garlic and ginger.

You can use a spoon, vegetable peeler, micro-plane, box grater, however you want to chop/slice/dice your ginger, just do it.



As for the garlic, lay a few cloves on your chopping board. Get a nice big knife, place the garlic near the back of knife (near the handle) and with the palm of your hand, violently whack the garlic.



You have now dealt with any recent frustrations, evil co-workers/bosses/ex-whatevers, you get the picture.

The garlic should now very politely slide out of its paper, after which you can chop it how you please.

Unless you are one of those people where different items cannot touch, once I've finished chopping the garlic and ginger, I'll give them one last rough chop together, and I'll pronounced them married.

For the sauce, I just dump the soya sauce and vinegar into a bowl. As easy as that.






Now that you have all the actors in place, Start your stir fry people!

Throw your favourite (bite me US English, I want that U for $200) pan or wok on the stove over a high heat, unless it's electric, then crank that sucker.

Toss in the coconut oil, and watch it melt gloriously.






Once the oil is melted and the pan is a nice toasty hot, lob the ground pork in and watch the fireworks being.

Crumble and cooked until it is mostly cooked through, adding the garlic and ginger about 3/4 of the way through.






Wait a few more minutes until everything smells amazing and the pork is cooked through.


Time to add the green stuff also know as Kale.


Give it a stir or two so that nothing sticks. 


Once it has just started to turn a bright green, add your soya sauce/vinegar mix (you should hear a sizzle once you've tossed it in)



Lob a non-matching lid for your pan/wok (because my pan didn't come with a lid -_-; ) and cook for a few more minutes.


Once you've about chewed your arm off waiting, lift the lid and smell the glorious dinner you've just created!


Give it another stir and a nibble, adjusting the soy and vinegar need be.


Try not to eat the whole pan, I dare you!


NB: Should you happen to have leftovers, this tastes great the next day, after the flavours have gone on a honeymoon.



















No comments:

Post a Comment