Saturday, 30 January 2016

Mexican Shepherd's Pie

So, now that you have heaps of leftover taco meat, and I'm sure you're sick of taco salad, here's something of a new breed.

You have two ways this can be done; microwave or oven/toaster oven. Use whatever method you prefer or is easiest.

Start by peeling and chopping some potatoes (in my case I used two because they were quite large)


You can boil them or nuke them in the microwave. I chose the microwave, as I have the world's slowest heating stove. I cried at a bit as the largest nuke-proof dish was a glass mixing bowl which was a tad bit awkward.

Grab yesterday's leftover protein




 Cook the potatoes until they are fork tender. Since I nuked mine, I added a spoonful of water prior to plastic wrapping the bowl and cooking for about 8 minutes.


 Have a glass of wine while you wait for the 'taters to cook.


Option A: Use a square baking dish. Option B: Use a few individual sized dishes. Guess which I chose?

NB: The little plastic containers got tossed in the freezer for a later date.


By now your potatoes should be done. I didn't even drain the water, just tossed a few spoonfuls of milk and some salt and pepper. 



Very daintily spread your gloriously mashed potatoes on top of the meat mixture and revel in the simplicity of the beauty. 


Secret Ingredient Time: CHEESE! (This is a scrumptious 5 year old cheddar from Costco)


Now to cook it. If you meat mixture is cold, nuke in an oven proof dish until you can see juices starting to bubble up (see below dish) OR, if you have already warmed up your meat, just place the potatoes right on top, then the cheese. Nuke until the cheese is melted and just started to crust up at the edges.

You can totally cook the whole dish in the microwave from start to finish (the cheese even bubbles up nicely) or you can finish in the oven/toaster oven to get that killer brown cheese crust



Top with some avocado, and salsa if you have any (I just used my last jar....waaaaah, so I used homemade tomato chili sauce instead)


ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment