My Mum told me about this crazy gluten free pizza she had in Italy, so I finally hunted down a recipe to make it myself, since I am all aboard the let's make healthy and tasty gluten free food train.
It is called Socca Pizza (I pronounce the double C's like the C's in soccer, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
For the crust: 1 cup of chickpea / garbanzo/ garam flour, 1 cup of water (h2o), 1/2 cup of olive oil, some salt and pepper and a chopped garlic clove or four.
1 cup of the flour
I cup of water
1/2 cup of oil (to start)
Stir like crazy.
Chop chop chop the garlic and add it to the flour-y liquid.
Now the hard part; you have to wait ONE HOUR for it to come together and look like pancake batter.
While you are waiting you can totally chop and slice whatever you are going to put on your pizza!
I had Thai basil, peppers, zucchini and mushrooms. Unfortunately Hubby has been diagnosed with a preservative sensitivity, so that basically ruled out any and all pizza meats until we find out what his limit for sulphites/phates is and if it applies to nitrates/trites and phosphates/phites as well.
I have parm cheese, provolone and a beautiful five year old cheddar from Costco, and about the only single ingredient tomato sauce/paste around (made with cherry tomatoes, imported from Italy until we know the answer to the previous line)
Once you have hit the '10 minutes left before an hour is up' mark, place a heat proof shallow baking dish/cast iron frying pan in the oven which is on broil, and the top rack is about 8 inches from the element.
Let it sit in the oven to get pipping hot, and take it out once the batter has sat for ONE long hour
Dump in a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of olive oil, and swish it around the pan (that you have taken out of the oven with oven mitts)
Dump the batter in (no picture because I'm an airhead) Note that I used a titch too much oil for this.
Broil for up to TEN minutes on high, and then lower the oven to 425 F.
I have no picture of it coming out from the broiler (because that's how I apparently roll)
Treat like a normal pizza and start your engines!
Bake for an additional 10 minutes or however long you like. I like my cheese brown (as you can see)
PLEASE let it sit for a few moments when it comes out of the oven, as it will be smoking hot.
Serve with the leftover veggies that didn't make it on the pizza, a glass of wine and a husband to clean the dishes!
It is called Socca Pizza (I pronounce the double C's like the C's in soccer, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
For the crust: 1 cup of chickpea / garbanzo/ garam flour, 1 cup of water (h2o), 1/2 cup of olive oil, some salt and pepper and a chopped garlic clove or four.
1 cup of the flour
I cup of water
1/2 cup of oil (to start)
Stir like crazy.
Chop chop chop the garlic and add it to the flour-y liquid.
Now the hard part; you have to wait ONE HOUR for it to come together and look like pancake batter.
While you are waiting you can totally chop and slice whatever you are going to put on your pizza!
I had Thai basil, peppers, zucchini and mushrooms. Unfortunately Hubby has been diagnosed with a preservative sensitivity, so that basically ruled out any and all pizza meats until we find out what his limit for sulphites/phates is and if it applies to nitrates/trites and phosphates/phites as well.
I have parm cheese, provolone and a beautiful five year old cheddar from Costco, and about the only single ingredient tomato sauce/paste around (made with cherry tomatoes, imported from Italy until we know the answer to the previous line)
Once you have hit the '10 minutes left before an hour is up' mark, place a heat proof shallow baking dish/cast iron frying pan in the oven which is on broil, and the top rack is about 8 inches from the element.
Let it sit in the oven to get pipping hot, and take it out once the batter has sat for ONE long hour
Dump in a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of olive oil, and swish it around the pan (that you have taken out of the oven with oven mitts)
Dump the batter in (no picture because I'm an airhead) Note that I used a titch too much oil for this.
Broil for up to TEN minutes on high, and then lower the oven to 425 F.
I have no picture of it coming out from the broiler (because that's how I apparently roll)
Treat like a normal pizza and start your engines!
Bake for an additional 10 minutes or however long you like. I like my cheese brown (as you can see)
PLEASE let it sit for a few moments when it comes out of the oven, as it will be smoking hot.
Serve with the leftover veggies that didn't make it on the pizza, a glass of wine and a husband to clean the dishes!





















No comments:
Post a Comment